Scrap metal dealer’s licence

Changes are being made by HMRC for for scrap metal site or scrap metal collector licence applications from 4 April 2022.

You’ll need to complete a tax check when you renew your licence as a:
– scrap metal site
– scrap metal collector

Please note the licensing team cannot answer any questions relating to Income Tax. Please visit the GOV.UK website or contact HMRC.

You must have a licence if you are a scrap metal dealer or motor salvage operator. There are two types of licence:

  • site licence
  • mobile collector’s licence

Please complete a scrap metal dealers licence application  for either type. Once you have completed the form, you can submit it and pay for it on Please ignore the form supplied on the website and just submit this one, using the ‘Submit application’ button at the bottom of the page.

You will also need to apply for an environmental permit if you are applying for a site licence or register as a waste carrier, broker or dealer if you are applying for a collector’s licence.


Variation of site/collector licence£290
Change of site manager£165
Simple variation£85
Replacement licence£17
Replacement badge for collector£17

You could be given an unlimited fine if you deal scrap metal without a licence.

Last updated on 22/04/2024