Before applying for a licence you must satisfy all the following criteria by answering YES to questions 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and NO to question 2.
- Will there be a minimum clear footway width in accordance with Appendix 1 of the Guidance Note?
- Will the pavement café interfere with vision lines for traffic and/or pedestrians?
- Do you hold public liability insurance of not less than £5,000,000?
- Will the area be clearly defined and used solely for the purpose of consumption of
- Will tables be cleared of food, drink, crockery, glasses and cutlery etc. as soon as
possible after customers have left, to avoid any litter on the highway?
- Will all furniture associated with any pavement café, including parasols, be securely fastened to ensure that they are not liable to be moved by external forces, such as the effects of wind or from being lightly knocked?
- Will all furniture be of a type as not to cause damage to the highway surface?
- Has a plan been produced that clearly shows:
- The positions of all tables, chairs, barriers, planters (or other such structures)
as well as anything else stated on the application as applied for?
- If smoking is permitted – the areas to be used for smoking (outlined in red) and
the non-smoking areas (outlined in green). If smoking is permitted you MUST
allocate some seating that is non-smoking
- The dimensions of:
- The entire area applied for
- The distance between the frontage of the business and the middle of the highway
- The distance between the frontage of the business and the start of the seating area and the distance from the end of the seating area to the kerb (if there is no kerb, then the distance to the middle of the highway).
- All tables, chairs, barriers, planters (or other such structures) as well as anything else stated on the application as applied for.
- The distance between the smoking and non-smoking areas (minimum of 2m)
- If you are applying for a licence beyond 2300hrs, have you already got SIA door staff and included the use of the licence in your risk assessment?