Single person discount

We can grant a single person discount of 25% if you are:

  • the only adult living in your home and
  • aged 18 years or over.

If your circumstances change and you are no longer the only adult in your property you will need to cancel your discount with us.

Should you live with children or dependants, once they reach 18 years of age this discount will no longer be applicable.  However you may be entitled to claim the school or college leaver disregard.

A school or college leaver is a person who:

  • is aged 20 and under and
  • stopped studying a full-time course of education or a qualifying course of education after 30 April and before 1 November in any year

If a young person reaches the age of 18 after leaving school or college, they are disregarded for Council Tax for a few weeks before becoming a student.  A young person will be disregarded for Council Tax until 1 November under any circumstances in the year of leaving school or college.

If you are the sole occupier due to someone moving into a care home, please see further information under Discounts for people who aren’t counted.

Last updated on 16/05/2022