Paying your rent

Please continue to pay your rent as normal. You can pay us using the following methods:

Direct Debit – A direct Debit allows us to ask your bank to transfer payments direct to us from your account.

Rent Card Payment – You can use this to pay in any shop that has the PayPoint logo.

Automated Telephone Payments – If you call 0118 937 2877, you will be able to pay using a credit or debit card.

Pay online

By cheque – Make your cheque payable to Reading Borough Council and write your 6 or 7 digit rent on the back of the cheque along with the first line of your address.
If you have any concerns about making payments or are unsure how to pay, please send an email to and include your name, address and contact telephone number, and we will respond within 3 working days. Alternatively, you can call us on 0118 937 2784.

You can pay your rent weekly, fortnightly, monthly or four-weekly, as long as you pay in advance. It is easiest to direct debit rent or pay online.


Contact us as soon as possible if you fall into arrears. We will need details of your income and outgoings to create a plan you can stick to.

If you do not contact us, we will take action to recover the money – we will add any court fees to the money you already owe. You should also contact us if are in arrears when you move out – you will still have to pay them.

Rent-free weeks

There are three rent-free weeks in a year except for those on licence agreements. Rent-free weeks fall on bank holidays. If you are in arrears, you will have to pay through these weeks. The rent free weeks for 2022 are Monday 2 May, Monday 29 August and Monday 26 December.

Customer Online Services (COS)

If you are a council tenant , you can now access your rent account on line via the Customer Online Services (COS). This will  allow you to view your weekly charges and any payments made, make a payment onto your account, update your telephone number and suggest a repayment plan if you are in arrears.

If you are interested in using this service please contact the Rents Helpline on 0118 937 2784 for further details. If you already received your user name and password, you can access COS here.

If you claim Universal Credit

You will need to tell Universal Credit about your annual rent change by updating your Universal Credit journal. There is a step to step guide on how to do this on our Universal Credit page.