Property owners are responsible for the pipes in home and connecting to the shared pipes that are maintained by Thames Water.

If the blockage is your responsibility, you can request us to clear it for you. Please note there is a charge for this service.

If you rent your home, you should tell your landlord about the blockage as soon as possible. If they do not clear the blockage in a reasonable time you should ask our drainage team to investigate.

If a neighbour is experiencing similar problems to you, it is likely that the blockage is the responsibility of Thames Water.

Last updated on 14/06/2022