Homeless or rough sleeping

This is a new page – your feedback will help us to improve it.

3 min read

This page is for people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless and want to get advice.

There is high demand for all types of accommodation in Reading. If you are homeless or at risk of being homeless, it is extremely important that you seek advice immediately. The sooner you contact the Homeless Prevention Service the more likely we will be able to help.

On this page:

Getting in touch and further advice

There are different ways you can contact the Homeless Prevention Service:

Reaching out online

You can contact us online by filling in an online form. We will aim to make contact with you within 5 working days, unless it is an emergency and then we will contact within 1 working day.

Sending an email

Contact us by sending an email to housing.advice@reading.gov.uk.

Calling our phone

Call us on 0118 937 2165. Please note our phone lines are very busy. If you leave a message, we will get back to you within 1 working day (unless it is an emergency).

Visiting our offices

If you don’t have access to a phone or email (or if you need a safe space), you can attend the Civic Offices on:

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: from 9am to 5pm
  • Wednesday: from 10:30am to 5pm

If you have an emergency out-of-hours, call us on 01344 351 999 (5pm to 9am on weekdays and over weekends).

What will happen after you contact the Homelessness Prevention Service

After you contact us, you will get a 10 to 20 minutes assessment from a Housing Needs Customer Access Officer to understand your situation and collect your basic information. If you are homeless on the day you contact us, a Duty Officer will receive your case. Please note:

  • the officer you speak to may not be able to resolve your query, but they will refer your case to another officer for a full assessment
  • if you are threatened with homelessness, you will be contacted for a full assessment, which is unlikely to take place on the day
  • you will get an appointment with an appropriate officer, who will work with you to create a Personalised Housing Plan
  • you will need to read, sign and return a consent to share form before any appointment

You will need to provide the following documents prior to an appointment:

  • proof of ID for all household members
  • last three months of bank statements for all bank accounts
  • proof of income (wage slips, child benefit, child tax, working tax, PIP, or universal credit, if receiving)

If you have been asked to leave your private rented accommodation, you will also need to provide:

  • the name and phone number/email address of the landlord
  • copy of the notice
  • tenancy agreement
  • deposit protection certificate
  • gas safety certificate
  • EPC
  • right to rent book
  • possession orders or bailiff warrants (if issued)

Support for people sleeping rough

Support for people sleeping rough in Reading is available through:

  • The Street Link App – this will ensure that you are referred quickly to our local St Mungo’s outreach service
  • calling the council on 0118 937 2165 or 01344 351 999 after 5pm
  • emailing housing.advice@reading.gov.uk
  • visiting the Civic Offices from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, if you don’t have access to a phone or email (or if you need a safe space)

Alternatively, our Street Support Reading Information Portal provides useful information on where to find food, support, advice, and accommodation. It is for people who are experiencing homelessness right now or who are at risk of becoming homeless.

Last updated on 15/04/2024