Reducing energy bills

3 min read

The video below contains information about how to reduce your energy bills and some support that is available to help with these bills.

Take practical steps to reduce energy consumption

You can save energy around the home with small changes, for example, only filling the kettle with what you need. Tips and advice on saving energy at home.

You may be eligible for a Winter Watch referral

Winter Watch is a fuel poverty scheme designed to help vulnerable families stay safe and warm during the coldest parts of the year. Help available includes:

  • Discussions with energy suppliers.
  • Advice on energy usage, easy to
    fit, insulations.
  • Discussing smart meters
  • Setting heating timers

The scheme is open to council, private, owner occupiers and housing association residents based within the borough.

If you are deemed vulnerable and there are clear signs of fuel poverty, for example your are reluctant to put the heating on, there are signs of damp and mould, or you have financial hardship, a professional can make a referral on your behalf. However, they should first discuss with your landlord.

A referral can be made by calling 0118 937 3747 or emailing

Free loft and cavity wall installation through your energy supplier

Residents on means tested benefits can apply through their energy supplier to have loft and cavity wall insulation installed to help maximise the energy efficiency level of their property. Speak to your landlord about this.

Your or your landlord can contact the council for assistance by calling 0118 937 3747 or emailing

Apply for a Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter. You can usually get a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born on or before 5 October 1954.

Cold Weather Payments

Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold.

You’ll get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time.

You’ll only be eligible if you already get:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit
Last updated on 29/05/2024