Noise nuisance

You can find out what noise problems are considered to be a nuisance on the website.

You can find out how we investigate noise complaints in our noise nuisance fact sheets.

You will need to fill out diary sheets to show a noise is having an unreasonable effect on your use or enjoyment of your home or other premises. You should be as specific as possible when completing the diary sheets. Guidance on completing diary sheets. Submit completed sheets to

You may also like to make a log of the noise using The Noise App which can be downloaded for free.

Statutory noise nuisance does not usually include one-off parties, road traffic or aircraft noise, or neighbours arguing – although it may be possible for you to take civil action.

There are different laws for fireworks.

Construction work

The recommended hours for noisy works are:

  • Monday to Friday 08:00 – 18:00hrs
  • Saturday 09:00 – 13:00hrs
  • No works on Sunday or Bank Holidays.

Any works required outside those hours must be approved by the Council. Works will only be approved where there is strong justification for working and noise is controlled as far as practicable.

University of Reading

We work closely with the University of Reading regarding complaints of noise related to student properties. Please visit the local community page for further information on measures the University is taking to help students settle into local neighbourhoods, and for the University’s Community Relations Team contact details if you wish to make a complaint.

Last updated on 17/11/2023