Report a Planning Breach

If you are concerned that development has been, or is being carried out without planning permission or any conditions attached to a planning decision are not being followed, you can tell us by completing the Report a Planning Breach form below.

Enforcement action is discretionary and local planning authorities should act proportionately in responding to suspected breaches of planning control.

Is the issue regarding any of the following?

  • Boundary or ownership disputes
  • Party wall issues
  • Covenant issues

If so, these are civil matters so please contact Citizens’ Advice or seek legal advice. The Council is not a responsible authority for these matters.

We also have no power to investigate:

  • Loss of value to your property.
  • Loss of a view.
  • Boundary and neighbour disputes.
  • Impact on private drainage systems.
  • Inappropriate or personal comments.

What will the Council do about a breach of planning control?

To make sure that we effectively investigate alleged breaches of planning control we will undertake the following if appropriate to the case:

  • Record details of all complaints.
  • Advise the person who made the complaint (if requested) and any other relevant interested parties the outcome of our investigations.
  • Assess whether there has been a breach of planning control and whether further investigations are needed or any enforcement powers should be used.
  • Collate any additional information required and carry out consultations, site visits or write to people with an interest in the land.
  • Invite a retrospective planning application or require the removal or alteration of the breach, if appropriate.

All complaints made by private individuals or companies are kept confidential, your name will not be disclosed without your knowledge and agreement, unless we are legally required to do so.

Last updated on 19/01/2023