Our approach to whistleblowing enables employees, councillors and members of the public to express any concerns they have about illegal or illegitimate practices involving the council, without fear of victimisation, discrimination or disadvantage.

Whistleblowing claims can be raised anonymously and still be considered for investigation. However it would assist the investigation if the whistleblower gives their details and is prepared to give a statement or evidence.

Please note, if you have any comments or complaints about how the Council provides services that are not related to whistleblowing, you can report them here  or directly to the relevant department

Raise a whistleblowing claim

Before raising a whistleblowing claim, ask yourself the following questions:

  • Is it legal?
  • Does it contravene professional codes of practice?
  • Is it against Government guidelines?
  • Is it a breach of the members code of conduct?
  • Is it about one individual’s behaviour or general working practices?
  • Have you witnessed the incident?
  • Did anyone else witness the incident at the same time?

You can report the matter to us by calling 0800 043 0699, emailing Whistleblowing@reading.gov.uk or by writing to Corporate Investigations Team, Civic Offices, Reading RG1 2LU. 

If you work for the Council, you should normally raise matters through your immediate line manager or head of service in accordance with the staff whistleblowing policy. This will be treated as strictly private and confidential. 

What happens next

Your whistleblowing claim will be acknowledged immediately, and we will write to you to indicate how the matter will be dealt with within five working days.

Subject to legal constraints, you will receive information about the outcome of any investigations, and the action that is to be taken against those whose actions caused you to contact us.

If you are not satisfied by our whistleblowing policy, and feel it is right to take the matter outside the Council, the following are possible contact points available to you:

  • Your local council member or MP
  • The Local Government Ombudsman
  • The External Auditor
  • Relevant professional bodies or regulatory organisations
  • The Citizens Advice Bureau
  • The police

If you would like to take this matter outside the council, you need to ensure that you do not disclose prohibited confidential information. 

Last updated on 25/10/2021