Informal carer permits

If you are over 65 years of age and/ or you are disabled and live in a street that is part of a parking permit zone you may apply for a carer parking permit. The permit enables your carer(s) to park while visiting your home to assist with your needs. If you have been issued with a residents permit then you may not apply for a carer permit unless you are able to demonstrate exceptional circumstances.

Proof of residence

Provide one proof of residency showing your name and address dated within the last 4 months:

  • bank statement
  • credit card bill/store card statement
  • gas/electricity/telephone bill (mobile phone bills excluded)
  • current Council Tax bill

You can display up to three vehicle registrations on this permit.

For each vehicle you will need: name of carer, vehicle registration number, make of vehicle and proof of vehicle ownership.

Proof of ownership of vehicle

If the carer owns the vehicle, provide one proof of vehicle ownership which must show the carer’s name, address and vehicle registration. This can be a current insurance document or a DVLA registration document (V5C).

If the carer is not the owner of the vehicle (for example it is a company, lease or rental vehicle) you will need to provide both of the following documents:

  • a letter from their employer on headed paper or a copy of the lease showing their name, address and vehicle registration
  • a current insurance document to show they are insured to use the vehicle

Proof of age/disability

Provide one of the following showing your age (over 65) or disability

  • passport
  • bus pass
  • birth certificate
  • driving licence
  • disabled badge
  • Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment award notice letter from the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP)
Last updated on 25/10/2023