Carrying out roadworks yourself

If you want to conduct roadworks, you will need to apply for permission from us.


Guidance notes for activities on the public highway

The different types of application are:

Section 171 – excavation in the carriageway

Scaffolding and hoarding

Temporary traffic regulation order/notice

Crane/mobile lifting platform permit

Section 50 licence – this is intended for the installation, removal, maintenance or adjustment of private apparatus under the Highway (you should also download the Section 50 Licence guidance document, and the Section 50 Licence registration of works form.)

Portable traffic signals – if you are representing a utility company (statutory undertaker), then you must apply through the South East Highway Authorities and Utilities Committee.

Last updated on 16/05/2023