Do you need planning permission?

You are likely to need planning permission for new buildings and for major changes to existing properties and the local environment. You also probably need permission to carry out minor work on listed buildings, in conservation areas or on trees protected by preservation orders.


Some work is covered by ‘permitted development’. Check on the Planning Portal website to see if the work you want to carry out will need planning permission.

Even if your development seems to be permitted it is important to contact us to check that the building or land has full ‘permitted development’ rights. In some instances, ‘permitted development’ rights have been removed either by condition on an existing planning permission or through an Article 4 Direction.

Usually you do not need planning permission to change a house into a small house in multiple occupation (HMO), but in some areas of Reading you will need to apply for it. You can see the areas this applies to on the Article 4 mapList of properties within HMO Article 4 direction