Nuisance, animals and pests

Light and smell nuisance

Get information on statutory nuisance, artificial light and smells.


Get advice on how to use fireworks safely and legally. Understand what regulations apply to fireworks and apply for a licence if you wish to store fireworks or explosives.

Noise nuisance

Find out what noise problems are considered to be a nuisance, the recommended hours for construction work, and how the Council investigates complaints.

Contaminated land

See the contaminated land register for information about sites in Reading, read about the contaminated land strategy and get information about developing contaminated land.

Japanese knotweed

The Council does not have a service to identify and treat Japanese knotweed on private property, only Council-owned land. Find out what you can do.