Change, refund or transfer a parking permit

If you have an account set up, you can log into your account.

If you have not set up an account, contact the permit team on 0118 937 3767 (Monday to Friday from 10am to 3pm) to arrange for your permit to be cancelled or transferred.

Change of vehicle

Guidance on how to change your registration

If you have a new vehicle, log into your account online service, and request cancellation of the permit; explain that you have a new vehicle (see above pdf for information). You will need to upload proof of ownership of your new vehicle, showing name, permit address and vehicle registration:

  • DVLA registration document (V5C)
  • Current insurance certificate/schedule

If the vehicle is not owned by you (company vehicle, lease car, rental car only) a letter from the registered keeper proving right to use the vehicle and a copy of the fleet/insurance certificate must be supplied with your application. Please note the Council will no longer accept letter of authority and insurance documents for vehicles not registered at the property the permit is intended for. The only exceptions are company vehicles, lease cars or rental cars.

If you do not hold a permit, you will need to provide proof of residency along with proof of vehicle ownership.

You may apply for a temporary permit while we process your application.

Moving house

Guidance on how to apply for a permit if you have moved house

Moving out of a permit zone

Moving into a permit zone

  • Log into your account
  • Update address details – Important – you must do this before applying for new resident/temporary permit
  • Request cancellation of permits at old address
  • Apply for Residents permits at new address, if you are unable to provide proofs for a resident’s permit you may apply for a temporary permit.

We are unable to issue permits to new occupiers of your former home unless we know you have moved out; this includes if you are moving within the same parking zone.

If you are the second permit holder you may apply to transfer the fee from your old to your new address or apply for a refund.


Return your permit with a letter asking for a refund or transfer – you can only get refunds on your second permit. The amount we refund depends on how long you have had the permit. Please return your permit(s) to:
Resident Parking Permits
Reading Borough Council,
Civic Offices, Bridge Street
Reading, RG1 2LU

You can transfer your second permit from one house to another if you move within six months of getting it.