Tenancy information

Introductory tenancy

This is a 12-month trial period which lets you show you can stick to a tenancy agreement. If you break the terms, we may extend the trial period or – in serious cases – evict you. If you pass this stage, you will become a secure tenant, with the extra rights they have.

Introductory tenants cannot carry out any alterations or improvements to their property (except painting and decorating).

Secure tenancy

Secure tenants can:

  • stay living in their home as long as they like
  • ask for permission to sublet, take in lodgers or improve their home
  • pass on their tenancy to a family member or exchange their home with another council tenant
  • buy their home

If you break your agreement, we can demote your tenancy. You would then have similar rights to an introductory tenant.

Gas safety

We have to carry out a free annual gas safety check in your property. The check usually takes less than an hour. We will write to let you know when the check is due. It is part of your tenancy agreement that you let us carry out these safety checks.

Ending your tenancy

You must give at least four weeks’ notice, ending on a Monday. We will arrange to come and inspect your home before you leave. You must pay your rent in full and contact your utility providers so they can close your accounts for the address.

Passing on your tenancy

You have the right to assign (pass on) your tenancy to someone else, although you are not normally allowed to do this while you are still living in your property. You can do this if you are an introductory or a secure tenant. Once you have assigned your tenancy you no longer have any right to occupy your home.

You can assign your tenancy to:

  • your husband, wife or partner (someone you live with as a couple)
  • another member of your family (for example, parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece, including step or half relations) if they have been living with you for the last 12 months and it is their only or principle home

You cannot assign your tenancy to friends who live with you.


If you pass on your tenancy to another person without our permission your tenancy will no longer be secure. You cannot move out and leave family/friends living in your home – if you do they will be seen as unauthorised occupants. We will take steps to evict them and end your tenancy.

You must complete a succeed or assign a tenancy form. When we receive your application we will check your tenancy records. We can refuse your application if:

  • there is any legal action being taken against your tenancy
  • there has been a previous succession or assignment of the tenancy
  • you have outstanding rent arrears

If these checks are in order, we will visit you at home to:

  • check who would be living at the property if the assignment takes place – we can refuse to assign the tenancy if the property would be under-occupied or over crowded
  • make sure you understand the consequences of assigning your tenancy and answer your questions
  • view any supporting evidence – for example, marriage certificate or proof the assignee has lived in the property for at least 12 months

We will tell you our decision within 28 days of receiving your request. If we have agreed, your confirmation letter will include an appointment for the assignee to come to the offices to sign the Tenancy Agreement. If we do not agree and you think our reasons are unfair, you can ask us to review our decision.

Taking on a tenancy

You can apply to take on the tenancy (succeed the tenancy) of your home if the former named tenant has died.

Contact us if your relationship with your partner breaks down and you are not sure who should get the house.

Last updated on 21/02/2021